Devon Cooper Nixon, MD
Dr. Devon Nixon is a board certified, fellowship-trained orthopedic foot and ankle surgeon and a member of the Department of Orthopedic Surgery. He specializes in orthopedic foot and ankle care with a particular interest in sports-related injuries and lower extremity trauma. His main goals in treatment are to improve patient function and quality of life whether through non-operative care or, if needed, with surgery. He sees patients and operates at both the University Orthopedic Center and the South Jordan Health Center.
Originally from Michigan, he graduated with distinction from the University of Virginia, and after college, worked at the National Institutes of Health as a research fellow. He attended medical school at the University of Michigan where he graduated with academic distinction and was elected to Alpha Omega Alpha (AOA) honor society.
He completed his residency training at Washington University in St. Louis where he received a clinician-scientist grant from the Orthopedic Research Education Fund (OREF) and was awarded the resident research award. He was an orthopedic foot and ankle fellow at the University of Utah training under Drs. Timothy Beals, Florian Nickisch, and Charles Saltzman. After training, he practiced in Boise, Idaho before returning to the University of Utah.
His research has been published in leading orthopedic surgery journals with a focus on patient-reported outcomes. He is a member of the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons, committee member of the American Orthopedic Foot and Ankle Society (AOFAS), journal reviewer for Foot and Ankle International, and a member of the Emerging Leaders Program of the American Orthopedic Association (AOA). Outside of work, he enjoys spending time with his family, young kids, and dog.
- Orthopaedic Surgery
- Foot & Ankle
- FellowshipOrthopedic Foot and Ankle Surgery - University of Utah School of Medicine (Fellow)
Orthopedic Surgery - Washington University in St. Louis/Barnes Jewish Hospital (Chief Resident)
- ResidencyOrthopedic Surgery - Washington University in St. Louis/Barnes Jewish Hospital (Resident)
Orthopedic - National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases (Research Intern)
- Professional MedicalMedicine - University of Michigan Medical School (M.D.)
National Institute of Mental Health (Postbaccalaureate Research Fellow)
- UndergraduateNeuroscience - University of Virginia (B.A.)
- I've never had a doctor ask me if I still believe the care we chose was the correct course of action- and I've never felt as confident that the doctor genuinely wanted to know.
- Dr. Nixon was great. He literally sat down listened to me, examined my ankle,watched me walk. He told me his opinion and explained It In a way I could understand. He showed me braces ai should use. He Is the best. Would definitely come back to him
- Dr Nixon called us 2 days straight after our appointment keeping us informed with test results and what his plan of care is looking like, even before our virtual appointment.